These are great for school as they’re coconut flour based, free of any nut flours as well as gluten-free.
INGREDIENTS FOR 12 MUFFINS:
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I use EnjoyLifeFoods) + a few more to top each muffin (If you really love chocolate chips, you can add more if you’d like)
- DIRECTIONS: If you do not have sweet potato puree on hand, you’ll need a medium sized sweet potato and a steamer pot. Peel the sweet potato and add to the steamer pot, and steam until soft, you should be able to put a fork through it. Once ready, mash the sweet potato using a fork until well mashed or use a food processor if you prefer.
- Turn oven on to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 12 muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, add the dry ingredients: sift the coconut flour, and then add the cacao powder and baking soda, and blend together.
- Next, in another bowl, add the eggs and maple syrup and mix well.
- Next add the mashed sweet potatoes and vanilla and blend well.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients gradually, mix as you go.
- Then, add the melted coconut oil and mix well.
- Finally, fold in the chocolate chips and gently mix them in.
- Lastly, using a spoon, fill the muffin liners with the mixture and divide equally. Add a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
- Bake for about 24 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit to cool a few minutes and when you’re able to, remove them from the muffin tin and place them on a dish to cool down. You can enjoy them right away or once cooled down.
* MEAL PREP TIP: I like to make two batches of this recipe and freeze them. When my kids go to school, I take some out and pop them into a container into their lunch boxes, and there you go, they have a nice snack, and also what looks like a treat.
ICING: My go to recipe for icing is from Elana’s pantry, here is the link: https://elanaspantry.com/paleo-chocolate-frosting/